Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day 34

Alright! Day 34! I woke up around 7:30am at our hostel in Inverness, and then went downstairs and got some instant coffee, and saw that the dodgers lost. Bad start to the day. From there, we got on the bus around 9:00am and headed north across the Moray Firth. Our first stop was at a very mysterious Clootie Well. I don’t expect anyone to know what that is because I had no idea…and I know a lot of stuff. Basically, a Clootie Well is a small well filled with water in the middle of a forest that has magical properties. Supposedly, if you take an article of clothing or even a piece of cloth and dip it in the well and then tie it on a nearby tree or bush, then any misfortune you have encountered will slowly fade or rot away just as your piece of clothing will rot in the forest. So we saw that, and the nearby trees and bushes were just covered in clothing and cloths ranging from a soccer jersey to even a Macbackpacker’s T-shirt (they are the company I am on tour with). We made it back to the bus eventually and continued on to our next stop which was in the Rogie forest where we went on a walk through the forest and up to a waterfall, and a pretty scary swaying bridge. From there we made our way further north (and west) to the town of Ullapool on the west coast where we stopped for lunch. When we got off the bus it was pouring rain, so I went into the grocery store to get some food for dinner later tonight, and when I came out the skies were clear. Strange. I got some chicken nuggets and sausage for lunch, and then walked around the town for a bit before making my way back to the bus. Once we left Ullapool our first stop was at the Corrieshalloch Gorge. We went on another short walk to another swaying bridge except this time it overlooked a 200 foot drop straight down into the gorge where there was a river and a waterfall. It was really nice and even a bit freaky because the bridge really did move quite a bit, and it was windy. So, after we got back on the bus we continued driving south through some really nice highland scenery where we made a few picture stops before arriving at the Eilean Donan Castle. I had been really looking forward to this because I had seen pictures that looked amazing. When we got there it looked just as amazing, and we got to go on a tour inside the castle which was really cool. I think I took about 100 pictures at the castle. Once we left we had a very quick drive over the Skye Bridge and onto the ISLE OF SKYE!!! where we are staying the night. I can’t even tell you how excited I was to get to the Isle of Skye because I’ve only heard wonderful things about it (from Granddad of course). Right after crossing the bridge we arrived at our hostel in the small town of Kyleakin. Once I got checked in I took a quick shower and headed down to the kitchen to cook up some dinner. Sadly, the wifi was down so I am typing this on Microsoft Word which I hope to post asap. We are probably going to go out into town in a bit and see if there is anything to do, and then come back and go to sleep. See Ya!


Me behind the Clootie Well



Rogie Forest



Swaying bridge in the Rogie Forest



Random Highland photo stop



Ullapool



Me @ our lunch stop in Ullapool



Me and Corrieshalloch Gorge



Another random stop in the Highlands



Me and Eilean Donan Castle



Eilean Donan Castle



Scottish Flag at the Eilean Donan Castle



The town of Kyleakin on the Isle of Skye



The Skye Bridge



The Maol Castle near Kyleakin on the Isle of Skye

1 comment:

  1. I think my favorite thing about your blogs is looking at all your pictures :) Only 3 more days though...

    ReplyDelete