Friday, July 31, 2009

Day 37

Here we go! Today was the last day of my 5 day Skye and Highlands tour. The day began like many others. I woke up and went downstairs, got my instant coffee, and checked the internet to see the Dodgers finally won, the Lakers got Odom back, and basically the entire 2003 Red Sox team was on steroids. So we got on the bus at 9 again and left Oban behind. Our first stop of the day was in southwest Scotland at...another castle! This one was called Carnasserie. It was pretty well preserved and we got to climb up the towers for some really nice views over the area. Our next stop was in the small town of Kilmartin where we saw its really old graveyard and Cathedral before moving on. Continuing south, we stopped again at Dunadd Fort. which was build around the 8th century I believe. There wasn't much of it left, but our guide told us some interesting stories about it and how the Scot's (before they were called Scot's or Scotland was called Scotland) used it to keep the Romans from invading. Alright, so now it was lunch time, and we began heading east back towards Edinburgh, and we stopped in the small town of Inveraray for lunch. We got some lunch then walked around the town a bit. From there we continued east and stopped at Loch Lomond at the village of Luss (where I have already been, but this time it was pouring rain, so I was glad I had already been there). Next up was the William Wallace Monument in Stirling. Our guide told us all the history about William Wallace (at least as much as they know) and he told us the many differences between the movie Braveheart and the real William Wallace. Once we got there we climbed up a good sized hill to get to the monument which overlooked the whole city with Stirling Castle in the distance. From there we made a short drive back into Edinburgh where our tour ended and we got dropped off. It was a really good tour overall, and I was very glad I went on it. Once I checked back into St. Christopher's Hostel on Market St. I took a quick shower, and made my way to my favorite wifi spot on the bottom floor. The plan for tonight is to meet up with my tour group at 8:30pm to get some food, and hang out for the last time. I have ONE DAY left before I am heading home. Crazy. See Ya!


Carnasserie Castle



Me at the top of Carnasserie Castle



View from the top of Dunadd Fort



Our bus



Inveraray



A man and his bagpipes in Inveraray



Me and the Wallace Monument

No comments:

Post a Comment